Whole of Life Cover
Whole of Life is designed to give dependents or beneficiaries a pay out on the death of the person covered. There is no fixed term and the cover lasts for the whole of your client’s life. This cover is part of our flexible menu plan. Choose a combination of covers with different amounts and terms, which evolve over time to meet your clients’ changing needs.
- Scottish Widows Care, provided in partnership with RedArc, gives long-term practical advice and emotional support to protection policyholders and their families from day one.
- Plans can be written in trust so, on your client’s death, they will pay out to reflect IHT considerations.
- Free Accidental Death Cover and Free Mortgage Cover while we process your clients’ application.
- Guaranteed Insurability Options so cover can increase without further medical underwriting.
Our Whole of Life Cover also has
Up to 90 days Free Accidental Death Cover is automatically included and starts from the date we receive your client’s fully completed application form. Free Accidental Death Cover continues until the acceptance, decline or postponement of the application, 90 days have passed or the date a claim is made, whichever is earlier.
In the event of a claim we will pay the sum assured applied for or £250,000, whichever is lower. The claim received must meet the claims criteria for both Free Accidental Death Cover and for Life Cover under the policy applied for.
For full details regarding Free Accidental Death Cover, including eligibility and exclusions please see our leaflet (PDF 337KB).
Free Mortgage Cover is automatically included for new mortgages only and starts from the date we receive your client’s fully completed application form and direct debit instruction and the applicant has exchanged contracts (concluded missives in Scotland).
Free Mortgage Cover continues until the earlier of:
- The declining or postponement date of the application
- The start date of the policy
- The completion of the purchase
- The date a claim is made
- 90 days after the start of Free Mortgage Cover.
In the event of a claim we will pay the sum assured applied for or £1,000,000, whichever is lower. For full details regarding Free Mortgage Cover, including eligibility and exclusions please see our leaflet (PDF 380KB).
This option allows your client to increase the sum assured in certain circumstances without further underwriting provided the original cover was issued on our standard terms. Your client can use their Guaranteed Insurability Option when any of the following events occur:
- an increase in inheritance tax rates, or a reduction in inheritance tax allowances, reliefs or exemptions becoming law
- your client, before the age of 70, receives an inheritance of cash or a residential property under the terms of a will; or
- your client, before the age of 70, receives a gift of cash or a residential property during the lifetime of the donor.
For full details regarding Guaranteed Insurability Options including eligibility, restrictions and limits please see our Policy Provisions (PDF 140KB)
Premium Protection protects your client’s policy premiums so that they are paid if your client suffers an illness, disability or accident which leaves them unable to work. This option can only be added at the time the policy is taken out at an extra cost. It can be removed at any time but can’t be added in again once it has been removed.
The minimum age when cover starts is 18, the maximum age that cover starts is 60.
In the event of a claim we will start to pay the premiums for the policy holder after 26 weeks and continue to pay the premiums until the policy holder returns to work, reaches age 70 or dies, whichever happens first.
Cover will end 26 weeks before the policy holder’s 70th birthday (if payments are already being made as part of a claim these will continue to be made until the 70th birthday). For Joint Life cases Premium Protection can be selected for one or both lives (cover stops for both lives when the older person reaches age 70).
For full details regarding Premium Protection please see our Policy Provisions (PDF 140KB).
Scottish Widows Care, provided in partnership with RedArc, gives your client and their family access to practical advice and emotional support from the day the policy starts and for as long as it’s needed. See how we support your clients.
Our protection policies are flexible and can be adapted at any time during the policy. This flexibility means your clients can apply to make changes to their cover as their protection needs change without having to cancel the existing cover first.
Our protection policies are also portable. Where two people have policies within the same plan, they have the option to split the plan and move policies into a new plan should they wish.